Schools and full-day care centres

In Germany, every child has to attend school. Compulsory education usually starts at the age of 6 and ends at the age of 18. As parents, you are responsible for ensuring that your child attends school.

To determine whether your child is ready to start school, the local public health department will invite you to a "school entrance examination". Once you are given the green light, you can go ahead and enrol your child at a primary school of your choice. You will find an overview of all schools under the heading "School Profile".

In Germany, all children start off by attending primary school. Here they acquire basic knowledge, learning methods and social skills. Once completed, they move on to a secondary school. There are various types of secondary schools. You will find more information on this under the heading "The school system in Schleswig-Holstein“.

How long will my child be at school during the day?

This can vary. The children are usually cared for until 13:00. Some primary schools and many secondary schools also offer afternoon care. You will find more information here.

My child does not speak any German yet!

There are special DaZ ("Deutsch als Zweitsprache" / German as a second language) classes for children and youths who do not speak any or insufficient German. Here they are given intensive German lessons until they can attend classes in German. The Education Authority will explain this in more detail.

All children are entitled to a good education - even children from financially challenged families. If you receive Unemployment Benefits II (Arbeitslosengeld II), social welfare, a housing subsidy, supplementary child benefits (Kinderzuschlag) according to Section 2 AsylbLG [Asylum Seeker Benefits Law], the state will support your child's "Education and Participation".

This applies in particular to:

  • Special tuition
  • Lunch at the KiTa, school and after-school care centre
  • Culture, sport and leisure
  • Outings with the KiTa and school
  • School supplies
  • Transport for school children

Settlement of benefits is simple and unbureaucratic! To obtain benefits, please contact the person responsible for you.